Monday, July 27, 2009

Daily Reconcilliations

I heard the word reconcile used on the news and it made me think about all the things I am dealing with at this moment.

When I heard that the economy was coming out of a recession followed by the fact the unemployment rate would probably climb to 10% over the coming year and a half...How do I reconcile that?

When I heard that new home sales are up 11% which is wonderful news, but foreclosures are up as well and home sales fell to an 11 year low....How do I reconcile that?

When I heard that my mother is on her final journey here on earth but hospice cannot tell me if that means next week or tomorrow...How do I reconcile that?

When I heard that there were 400 people in line at the food pantry in Lawrence this week, a 33% jump from last year...How do I reconcile that?

When I heard that people think the need for emergency food is only great in the winter months and some food pantries may have to close their doors because their shelves are bare...How do I reconcile that?

When I heard that my AC needed to be adjusted for $500 but now a week later it needs another adjustment for $400...How do I reconcile that?

When I heard that deflation is keeping businesses open but not profitable...How do I reconcile that?

When I leave the grocery store after shelling out $150 and realize I don't have anything to make a complete meal...How do I reconcile that?

When I heard the swine flu is expected to be on the increase in the fall and hopefully there will be a vaccine, but they are not sure if it will be enough...How do I reconcile that?

Maybe you can tell by my tone that I have had a difficult week. I am holding onto information, some of which has a direct impact in my life, and some does not. A wise friend MS told me "YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN PATH." Greater words have never been spoken and I try to live by them daily. I (we) cannot control everything that happens in life or in the lives of those I (we) know and love. All any of us can do is support one another through the ups and downs with the gifts we have available to us, so that through our darkest moments when hope is disguised as fear, and joy is a distant memory, we are comforted in knowing that we are not alone. I can reconcile that!

Dorothy Goodwin

No comments:

Post a Comment