Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Heart of Every Home

The heart of every home can be round or square, oblong or rectangle, wood, glass or even Formica. I am talking about the Kitchen Table. This is where we begin and end each day. At my kitchen table, the one I share with my husband and two children, I have watched play dough turn into clay sculptures. I have watched printing turn into cursive. I have seen spelling words turn into short stories. I have seen finger paints turn into brush strokes. I have watched my childrens feet, that used to dangle, touch the ground and their hands, that could not reach, grab hold.

We have laughed and cried at this special place. We have shared our dreams, hopes and fears here. We have celebrated holidays and watched the candles on the birthday cakes increase.

If every kitchen table could talk, it would have its own story. It is the place we go for comfort, even if the chairs are not the most comfortable. It is the place we go for conversation, even if it is the most chaotic. Most importantly it is the place we go for nourishment of the body, mind and soul.

Let us not take for granted

the food that we eat,

the table from which we eat

and the people with whom we share it.

Dorothy Goodwin


No comments:

Post a Comment