Monday, August 10, 2009

Bon Appetit

I saw the Julie & Julia movie yesterday, which is based on Julia Child's early days in France. Julie is looking for meaning in her own life and decides to recreate every Julia Child recipe while sharing her experience on her blog. What takes Julie one year to complete took Julia 8 years to write. I love and respect food and I cook, but I don't love it. Julie & Julia were not put off by the shopping, the unusual ingredients, the hours of preparation, the cost or cleaning up afterward. They prepared the food with love and true artistry. I don't have the daily constitution to shop, chop, saute, steam, bake, broil and boil. I rush though the grocery store as if my carriage is on fire. I cannot stand loading and unloading the groceries. I have a small kitchen so there is not always enough room for everything, especially if I go to Costco and purchase food items that come in enormous sizes. Then there is the dealing with the refrigerator and where to put everything, especially in summer when condiments rule the shelves and little room is left for anything else. This got me thinking, which I do every now and then, what if I could help people create meals that were healthy, simple and inexpensive to prepare.

I will post recipes and photos of food I make, once a week, using ingredients that won't break the bank. Other board members will submit their recipes as well. If you have one to share, by all means send it in so we can publish it on the blog. Eventually, depending on the number of recipes, there may be a separate section on the blog.

Julia Child I am not, but helping others eat healthy on less, I am all for that.

Bon Appetit!

Dorothy Goodwin

No comments:

Post a Comment